Saturday, April 16, 2011

30 Days of biking - Days 14 - 16 Cut Offs?

I first started bike commuting in New York City. I didn't do it daily, but did enough to develop some thresholds over when I would bike and when I wouldn't. I lived in Queens and biked over the Queensboro bridge to get to my work in Manhattan. This bridge is very high and the winds can gust suddenly and be extremely strong. On a day I was considering biking, I would look out my apartment window across the East River looking for signs of how strong the wind was going to be that day. Too windy, and I would take the subway. (This is a night shot, but you get the idea - I miss my view)


The last 3 days of the 30 Days of Biking in St Paul have been windy with gusts up to 30 mph. The difference between now and when I was in NY is that now I just put up with the wind. Going one direction I will feel like a pro cruising easily at 37 (well, see Day 13), the return trip I will be on the small end of the cassette panting like a burro working a mine. One deal with the wind, just like rain, sun, or snow. Hail, on the other hand, I don't recommend.

2 comments:

  1. You neglected to mention that when things are gusty on the QB Bridge, you actually run a pretty high risk of being taken out by a huge piece of flying trash. Thresholds involve many factors.

    (posted by Nicole, on your laptop, which annoyingly keeps automatically signing me in as you)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, commenting as myself, quite impressive.

    The biggest issue I had with that bridge was the powerful gas/diesel odor. The traffic was so heavy my clothes would reek. Yuck.

    ReplyDelete