Monday, April 4, 2011

30 Days - Day 3

Today I had a bit of  flashback to what biking was like when I was a kid. I would often run errands on my bike, picking things up at the grocery store, taking letters to the post office, or just cruise around town. On quiet residential streets I would ride in the traffic lane. On busier streets, I rode on the sidewalk, which required negotiating sidewalk cracks, trash cans, light poles, and the occasional pedestrian.

My destination today was a music class I attend with my nearly 1-year old son. The route takes me through some busy intersections in my neighborhood so I took the 'kid route.'



Keep on eye on those doors.


Cut through a parking lot where convenient.


Here is a typical hazard.

The nature of biking as transportation helps me see more of my surroundings and better take it all in. My kid route today reminded me how different the road looks depending on where and how you are riding. 

2 comments:

  1. These photos look like something from The Road. How different it looks in off-seasons vs. when things are green and growing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, although that part of town goes from grey-grey in the winter to a sort of brown grey in the summer. I won't take you up on the 'off-season' comment, however. There is a bike for every season.

    ReplyDelete