Thursday, April 7, 2011

30 Days - Day 6

Bike commuting is often a solo event. You have your own work schedule and route and, chances are, they don't exactly line up with other bikers. Often on my trip in I will see someone who I vaguely recognize perhaps by their bike, their style of riding (slow, fast, don't stop at intersections etc), their helmet etc. If it looks like we are riding the same way and I catch up to the person I will often start a conversation. At other times I will make a call: can I take the person and stay far enough ahead to justify the move? On Monday we had wind gusts over 25 mph so I was not Mr Speedy. I slowly caught up to another biker and decided to pass. She was a strong rider so I was working to get by and push against the wind. Only after 1/2 mile did I check behind me and saw she was drafting and letting me suffer through the headwind. Who was the smart one?

I caught up with the same woman on today's ride and we talked. She thanked me for passing her and making the ride easier. I was happy to help....I guess? 

No comments:

Post a Comment