Wednesday, April 13, 2011

30 Days of biking - Day 11 Situational Awareness

I would like to think I am constantly aware of my surroundings when I bike. I generally (Italics, please) stop at controlled intersections, usually look over my left shoulder before passing, and, most of the time, use turn signals. Since I have been carrying a camera lately - to satisfy you, my vampiric audience - I have noticed I spend a fair amount of time just gawking. I observe the many ways winter destroys pavement, mock idiotic bumper stickers on passing cars, and count the number of chickens outside of a hippie commune I pass every morning. If I had a camera installed in my head it might reveal events happening totally beyond my immediate awareness. In driver's ed we were taught to always keep our eyes on the road which is great safety advice to cyclists. But, on the other hand, isn't part of the joy of biking to slow down, get closer to your surroundings, and get lost in your thoughts?

Happy Pedaling.  

No comments:

Post a Comment