Monday, April 18, 2011

30 Days of Biking - Day 17 Chain-plaint

Let's face it, the drivetrain of a bike is terribly designed for its operating environment. Despite high-tech metals, wax/teflon/petroleum/kryptonite chain lubricants, carbon fiber components, and over 100 years of design evolution, the chain and shifting mechanisms are incredibly vulnerable. Your chain is exposed on every ride to materials that will eventually grind it to bits and there is really no protection for this key component. Imagine if a car engine operated without its parts being protected from the elements (see link - it was tried once)!

To that end, enter my weekly maintenance routine: I attempt to remove as much of the grit and gunk I can using brushes and solvents, and then re-lubricate the chain. I have gone overboard in the past taking too much of the grease off and not replacing enough. This is not recommended.

My current routine allows me to get about 1500 miles out of a chain. Chains aren't expensive but shouldn't there be a way to make these go 10,000 miles? Last the lifetime of a bike?

What is your chain maintenance routine?

2 comments:

  1. I've moved on from chains and use a belt drive with an IGH. Even in sloppy winter conditions, it is nearly maintenance-free.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have a feeling this is direction things will go. At least it seems like the best solution to the corrosion problem. Until then. I have a new (rather old school) method of chain maintenance I will post soon. The things we do to keep the machine running...

    ReplyDelete