Sunday, April 10, 2011

30 Days of biking - Day 9, biking states of mind

I spent much of Day 9 on a trip to Iowa related to retrieving a vehicle from winter storage. Part of my route took me along a path I biked 2 years ago. At that time, I was going to take my first overnight biking and camping trip and wanted to do a long ride with all my gear loaded. The goal was to check my pacing and get a sense for how many miles I could expect to cover in a day. I also wanted to make sure my makeshift packing was going to work. One of my most vivid memories from the ride is pedaling along small country highways passing through these 'wind farms.'


There were dozens of turbines arranged in grids and I really got an appreciation for the scale of these things when I passed so closely. There was little wind to push the blades and I would observe a breeze moving through the farm, some turbines just beginning to rotate while others slowed and stopped. The lack of wind may have been bad for the power company but it was a nice bonus to a pleasant and successful ride.

No comments:

Post a Comment