Saturday, April 7, 2012

30 Days of Biking - Alternate routes

I sometimes find myself too often taking the same route to and from work on my commute. Without realizing it, I may go weeks and longer taking the same streets, the same trails, parking in the same spot. Every working fool has this problem and most of us rarely notice it. A cool thing about biking is that often it will take the same amount of time to vary the route, try a different street, take an alley, hop off the trail. In a car this could add tens of minutes but on a bike your speed is fairly constant so there isn't a reason not to try it.

I thought about this on my Friday ride where I left work and headed to South Minneapolis to attend an....Easter egg hunt! I tried some new roads I hadn't biked on, checked out some new on-street bike lanes, and saw some different scenery. It reminded me that finding variety is refreshing and must ultimately be good for the brain.

No comments:

Post a Comment